Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Vegetarian project - day... I've lost track.

I have discovered tofu

When I first started this project I figured I would stay away from "fake meat" I have had veggie burgers before, I like them, but they are expensive and part of this project was to save a little money as well. When I was at the store the other day I was grabbing some salad and it happened to be right next to the tofu section (in my Safeway that is in a bin underneath the refrigerated salad dressings, next to the individual packed celery that is just silly to buy). I was very surprised. It was only $1.99 and that is 5 servings. I hardly ever find meat that cheap so I picked up two packages to see what I could do.

Oh my goodness I am in heaven.

I have cooked with it two nights in a row, and of course have forgotten to take pictures both nights, but here are the recipes I used.

Lemon tofu (like Chinese lemon chicken)

* 1 serving tofu (3oz) pressed (wrap the tofu in paper towels and press between
   two plates with something heavy on top, I used a cast iron pan. Let it press for
   an hour)
* Cut the tofu into small pieces, dredge in a mix of corn starch, garlic powder,
   onion powder, paprika, and cayenne.
* Pan fry in approx 1 Tb of olive oil, cook until tofu is crispy.
* Add 1/4 C water
* In another bowl mix a little less than one teaspoon corn starch with one
   teaspoon hot water. Add 1 Tb lemon juice with 1 Tb sugar (or splenda). Add
   liquid ingredients to the pan with the tofu and cook on low until sauce is thick
   and sticky. Taste test and adjust as needed.
* Serve over rice with some grilled veggies on the side. Enjoy and wish you made
   leftovers.




Hot and Spicy Tofu (been craving Chinese hence why we had it two nights in a row)


* 3 servings of tofu because this time you're going to have leftovers, plus 1 serving
   cooked pork chop for the husband
* Dredge tofu in the same spice mixture as in the Chinese lemon tofu. Cook in a
   little under 1 Tb olive oil that has a little bit of sesame oil added (to equal 1 Tb
   oil)
* After tofu is crispy remove to a plate and cook up your choice of veggies in the
   remaining oil. I voted for red/orange/yellow peppers, a little bit of hot green
   pepper, broccoli (stems and all they are turning into some of my favorite
   veggies), mushrooms, red onion, and garlic.
* In another bowl mix 1 teaspoon  corn starch with 1 teaspoon hot water, 3 Tb
   white vinegar, 3 Tb soy sauce, 1 Tb brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon crushed chili
   peppers.
* Add tofu and sauce back with veggies and cook until sauce is thick and sticky.
* Make up one plate over rice, put two servings over rice in tupperware for future
   lunch, pick tofu out of remaining serving and eat. Add cut up pork chop to
   remaining serving of veggies/sauce and serve to husband over rice.


OM NOM NOM NOM

No comments: