Friday, March 11, 2011

The strep throat diet

Oh joy oh fun, let me tell you how lovely the last few days have been. It started Tuesday evening, Alex was laying next to me on the couch and he put his hand on my head, "babe you feel warm." 'I'm fine. You're crazy.' Cut forward to 5am Wednesday morning, I woke up feeling like I'd lead a secret double life as a glass eater in my sleep, and I had no voice. I only had a 4 hour shift at work (YAY minimum day Wednesdays) so I decided to just go in.
Stupid.
Stupid.
Stupid.
Around 9:30/10 am I started shivering so bad I had to put my jacket on, while everyone else at work was complaining that the classroom was hot. I'm guessing that this was the beginning of the fever. I spent most of Wednesday on the couch, choked down some macaroni and cheese, and figured I'd be feeling better in the morning. I slept from 9:30-midnight and woke up feeling like it was August during a heat wave. I went out to the livingroom and watching tv until 1:30 (side note, streaming Netflix is the BEST thing when you are sick. You can just pick a show and watch episode after episode). At 1:30 I got back in bed, cuddled my cat (he was sleeping on my pillow) and fell asleep around 2. Up again at 3. Gumby was still nearby so I cuddled him again until 4. Fell asleep and was back up at 5. UGH!! Went back out to the livingroom and stayed there. I called my Dr.s office at 7, and called in sick to work at 730.
Yesterday was TERRIBLE. I didn't want to mask any of my symptoms for the Drs appt so I didn't take any motrin. My fever just kept going up and up and up (maxed at 102.7). I could barely eat oatmeal and the Frosty that Alex brought me (so in love with this man) made me whimper. The Drs appt confirmed what I thought, strep throat. So now I get antibiotics and vicodin. So skip forward to this morning.
After dropping Alex off in San Bruno this morning (he has drill) I stopped at Safeway on my way home. I was in the pajama pants I got for Christmas, a sweatshirt Alex acquired when we were volunteering for the San Bruno explosion, and no bra. I looked hot! (oh yah and hadn't brushed my hair). In the last two days I've barely eaten as many calories as I was eating in one day for my diet amount, that isn't counting the extra calories needed to fight the sickness, and to counter the lack of sleep. So I walked the aisles looking for anything that may whet my appetite. I know that people say that all you need is soup and tea when you're sick, but I have that in my house already and not once did it sound good. So here is what my haul looked like

(ignore the wine bottles, they just hang out on my counter). We have pasta roni, white cheddar macaroni and cheese (I have regular at home, but right now it just tastes funny), boxed alfredo pasta mix, cheesey broccoli rice, greek yogurt (to help counter the antibiotics on the stomach), avocado, better than buillon in vegetable base (I also have this in chicken, this stuff is AWESOME. It really is better than buillon cubes, and I like it more than canned/boxed stocks), tapioca pudding (my home made tastes better, but this is FAR easier), Jello mousse temptations (it was on clearance, not too bad), apple juice, lemonade (I read in a lot of places that warm lemonade feels good so I'll give that a shot), fudgecicles, chocolate sorbet, and peach sorbet.

So far, even with all this yumminess I've only managed one tapioca and one pudding (was curious if they were any good, I normally make both of these at home) and a little bit of juice, and that was after taking half a pain pill. Well if nothing else maybe this will help me finally break my 200lb plateau.

No comments: