Saturday, November 13, 2010

I love the Commissary

It is amazing, it is splediferous. I wish it was a little closer, but Alex and I generally use a trip to the commissary as a "date" day and have fun with the drive. (ok it's really only 30 minutes away, but still not close enough to just run to whenever we are out of milk).



We hadn't gone to the commissary in well over two months, possibly since before the wedding. First we didn't need anything, then we couldn't afford the inevitably large bill whenever we go (it is very hard to pass things up for as cheap as they are), we were busy with the wedding, and finally we just didn't have any time when we were both free to go.

Today we gathered up our list, re-organized the coupons, and took off for Mountain View. We knew that our list was just a "guideline" since I was also doing all of my holiday baking shopping. What I didn't plan for was losing the list somewhere in the first 10 minutes of being in the store. Oh well, all in all the only list items that I think we forgot were brown sugar and canning jars, so all in all not too bad.


So here is our bags of groceries (and I'd like to pat myself on the back for FINALLY remembering to bring all of the reusable bags with us)





everything unpacked:



(sorry for the quality,my phone doesn't take the best pictures)

So in those bags are:
(2) Kix
Saltine Crackers
Egg Noodles
(2) Newman's Own Marinara sauce
Oatmeal
Nilla Wafers
Penne Pasta
Mini rigatoni pasta
(2) Cans condensed milk
(3) cans evaporated milk
16 oz. walnuts
16oz. pecans
(3) cans Bush's baked beans
(10) Macaroni and Cheese
bread crumbs
Filipino noodles
Pumpkin pop tarts (nom nom splurge for me, I love all things pumpkin)
Apple Cheerios
(2) Cans green enchilada sauce
Red enchilada sauce
(3) Bags marshmallows
Boysenberry Syrup
Canola oil
White chocolate chips
Mint and Dark chocolate chips
(3) Cans cranberry sauce
Pumpkin pudding mix
(6) "Green" light bulbs
(2) Boxes freezer bags
Foil
Toilet cleaner
2000 flushes
Dishwasher tabs (our dishwasher SUCKS so we are constantly trying to find the best cleaner to use in it)
Laundry soap
Matches
(2) Green scrubbies
(2) Scrubby sponges
(2) Cans cat food
Press N' Seal
Hawaiian rolls
(2) Cans crescent rolls
Margarine
Monterey Jack Cheese
(6) Yogurts
(2) Butter
Tampons
Shampoo
Conditioner
Flintstone Vitamins (they taste good, don't judge)
Axe shower gel
Acorn Squash
Pomegranate
Apples
Butternut Squash
I had 18 coupons that added up to a savings of $12.77, which brought our grand total to $162.01
Now I was curious how much of a savings that really was (and I was bored and had nothing better to do) so I went on the Safeway website and plugged the same items into their shopper. One thing to note is that at the commissary most of the items I purchased are actually name brand. I'm not usually brand particular (except soda, and mac and cheese) but they do not carry many "off" brands at the commissary. Since I am not brand particular when I was on the Safeway website I just picked the cheapest of whatever the item was for the same size/count/ etc.
So my Safeway total would have been.... $274.47! That is INCLUDING the Safeway club card AND all of my coupons (some of which were commissary specific).
Granted these groceries will have to be supplemented with milk, eggs, veggies, and home made bread, but otherwise we honest to goodness probably have enough to get us into 2011. :)

3 comments:

Marni's Organized Mess said...

That's awesome! You flipping rock!!

Kristin said...

ugh, anything to keep from having to go to the grocery store weekly is a plus in my book!

Sparky said...

So I'm lame and can't figure out how to post a comment to a comment, but thank you to both of you!! Kristin has seen the size of my pantry (we gave up a table in order to have it) and it makes me happy to open it and see it nice and full. Now we just have to figure out what to cook with everything!